The Woolner Collection
The Woolner Collection is an important library of South Asian manuscripts at the Punjab University Library, Lahore, Pakistan. It was named after Alfred Cooper Woolner in recognition of his leadership at the University of the Punjab, and of his scholarship and special interest in South Asian literature.
The library was assembled gradually over a period of half a century, starting in the 1880s when Pandit Kashi Nath Kunte catalogued some of the famous manuscript libraries at Lahore, Gujranwala and Delhi. The initiative was renewed in 1913 when Dr Banarsi Das Jain, Professor of Hindi at Lahore's Oriental College, informed Prof. Woolner of the availability of manuscripts in the Punjab that could be purchased at reasonable cost. The library then began to grow in a serious way, through acquisition in the Punjab. By 1932, the collection numbered 6,782 manuscripts. By 1941, the number had grown to 7,895 manuscripts.
The Woolner Collection includes manuscripts on all the major disciplines of Sanskrit learning, including music, painting, philosophy, poetics, medicine, theatre, religion, linguistics, law and astronomy. Furthermore, it includes a grammar of the Persian language written in Sanskrit (#1214), as well as a Persian translation of the Mahābhārata (#1945).
Last update: 16:57 22/09 2011